Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Our Journey to Homeschool














  I did not decide to homeschool my children because they were having problems in school.  Each boy has their own unique scenario.  

  • My eldest was in all AP {advanced placement} classes and received the All Star Student Award 3 years in a row!  
  • My middle son was in Special Education because he has Autism.  His teacher and assistants were so sweet, but with a room full of kids with different challenges, it was hard for him do learn anything beyond coloring or playing with sand art {in 5th grade}.
  • My youngest, is a funny story.  His school had performed an IQ test for him and they found he has strong engineering tendencies.  {Not news to any of us or his family}...He is a child genius!  Of course every parent feels that of their little ones, but it's so nice to have that documentation ;-) Without my knowledge beforehand, he was video taped and an application was submitted to a school for gifted children - and he was accepted with full scholarship!  This school is over 2 hours away.  After a LONG meeting with the guidance counselor and testers, she said I would FAIL MY SON if he was left in public school setting.  For the little boy at 3 that took apart {and put back together} a cable box, Playstation 3, art center and anything else he could get a hold of.  It was time to look into homeschooling.        


  It's not enough for me that my children have good grades, ribbons, certificates - but I want them to grow up being strong men of  faith with a compassionate heart.  There is so much outside influence molding our kids when they're not with us.  My hope for them is to grow up knowing how to help the hurting, love the broken, invest our lives to LOVE and help others.  To be servants of the Lord.   

  Not only is homeschooling a BIG responsibility, but when you are home educating children with special needs - it can be draining.  Our days range from doctor appointments, meltdowns, health issues, scheduled social play time, speech therapy, occupational therapy, sports, etc...we are always on the go!  I praise God for his provision through all of our trials this past year.  One of MY biggest lessons this school year has been not so much what I want my children to learn, but HOW.  I thought I needed the most expensive christian curriculum - Epic Fail!  I saw the main difference only came from my pocket.  Through my blog you will find lots of FREE resources to use for homeschooling, and being frugal.  

  I LOVE STRUCTURE.  To an extent, so do my boys ~ but not as much as I do.  Initially, I kept my kids on the same kind of schedule they were on prior in public school.  Doing the same book work, just at home.  Instead of having a designated school room - school supplies were stored everywhere.  Our kitchen, bedrooms, bathroom, and especially my CAR!  Since then, we've made some alterations...lol



  This is the Bible I use with my boys in the morning before starting our school day.  It's perfect for EASY understanding!  Even my 5th grader loves it.  It's regularly $19.99 but currently on sale for $14.99 through Christianbook.com {another one of my favorite online ordering bookstores}.


  Of course we also have a traditional King James version, as well as a NIV adult study Bible for my older son {it used to be mine}.   But husband, oldest son and myself are big fans of the free YouVersion Bible Ap on our cell phones.  

*I was not compensated for this post.  As always, this post contains my honest opinions and experience.   


  Have you ever thought about homeschooling?  Or if you do, what was your reason?  Thanks for sharing!


No comments:

Post a Comment