Thursday, August 14, 2014

Reusable Tampons...Who Knew!?!

  So, after my latest post about reusable pads {saving money on your monthly} - I was astonished by the amount of emails I received from my female followers in a short amount of time asking if there was an alternative (reusable) form of tampons.  Of course, I didn't have to look far from my circle of friends in my community of homesteading/Eco friendly ladies to find a large source of information.  Some are using a sponges & cups (both future posts)...but when looking for an alternative to what their used to in the form of non-toxic tampons...they buy these flannel ones.  So to my flow sisters - this cork's for you!  

Flannel Tampons!

Unraveled, and Rolled 

Carry Pouch 

  I was privileged to interview Ms. Morana Revel from Silkworm Yarn Shop and guess what they make and sell!?!

  This is what she had to say about her story and Use/Care:

When I set out to make reusable menstrual products, I was worried about comfort and allergies.  I am allergic to everything, so I knew it needed to be 100% cotton.

I chose all cotton flannel for the fabric with an all cotton string.  I use all cotton thread with an over-lock stitch to prevent raveling.  They are sized similar to an OB, but may be customized in length and width as well as string length..These can be in either brown flannel or white/cream. 

All materials have been pre-washed in warm water to pre-shrink

Use:
Begin rolling at the string end and roll tightly.  They insert lik OB.

Out and About care:
I carry a small Ziploc bag to store them in until I get home.  Easy trick..turn baggie inside out..grab it and slow turn bag right side out to prevent mess and seal.  

Care and wash:
Rinse in cold water.  I soak mine in Oxyclean but that is optional.  Rinse and wash.  I do not stain treat, I find that the Oxiclean works well, but use what you are comfortable with.

Some short fraying is to be expected.  On these, I did not roll the edges to prevent it being too bulky to use. The small frays should not become dislodged inside and can be picked off before using.  

It is best to wash before first use in your own washing supplies.  If you have allergies, you might be allergic to what I have washed these in. 

Thank you,
Morana
Etsy Store: Silkworm Yarn Shop

While at Silkworm's Etsy shop - I couldn't resist buying this one for a friend!

I just about fell off my chair laughing when I found "Tampons are Trash" written by Kirsten Anderberg, July 2006 Here is her article link: "Tampons are Trash" where she states:

"In the zine "Let's Forget Everything We Learned About Being A Girl…Bloodsisters of the World…Unite and Take Over!" (which was made as part of the Belladonna DIY Fest '04), they say, "over 12 billion pads and 7 million tampons are used once and disposed of annually, and that 170,000 tampon applicators were collected along the US coastal areas between 1998 and 1999." They also said that in Ca., it is illegal to feed the leaves, stems or short fibers of cotton to livestock due to pesticide residue, but this cotton is instead allowed to be made into tampons, mattresses, cotton balls...Those statistics give us something to think about, don't they?

In recent years, biodegradable cotton menstrual products made by companies like 7th Generation, have emerged on the market, which is definitely a move in the right direction, except they are still one-use products, and due to the price range of such products, most women are still not able to use these products. And most women are still not hip to making their own cloth pads, like their grannies did. Yet women bleed monthly, and the landfills are piled high with non-biodegradable tampons and pads full of blood. There are more conscious ways to deal with our menstrual blood and the environment."

I just loved Kristen's approach to Bloodsisters of the World...Unite and Take Over!
*This was not a sponsored/paid for post.  I share, because I care.
 Photo Source: Silkworm Yarn Shop

Haha!

I Got Mail!  :D
My Surprise Thank You Gift From Silkworm's Etsy Shop!  After moving this close to Texas, it's only fitting I become a cowboy fan right!?!   Thank You Morana!  :D 





No comments:

Post a Comment