Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Easy Patriotic Craft

  You can make this to keep for yourself, or gift to a friend.  I know I LOVE when my friends give me patriotic gifts *hint-hint* lol.
  
  In our home, we are VERY proud to be American.  We support our service men and our forefathers that have lived and died for our freedoms.  My middle autistic son collects American Eagles, and possesses a strong patriotic bone that 'he gets it honest' from me.  The first half of my life was spent living in The City of Brotherly Love - Old Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.  I cherished the times with my mother and Aunt Donna visiting the Betsy Ross House, Liberty Bell, endless museums and being proud of my heritage was instilled in me at a very young age, {with appreciation for real cheese steaks and hoagies too!}.  My living room/kitchen has always been patriotic themed with splashes of Longaberger baskets...so when I saw many variations of this little number on Pinterest, of course I fell in love!  This craft is perfect to fill with goodies for your local vets, or military families too!  

  I used a pickle jar that I washed and scrubbed the adhesive off of.  Then delicately removed the staples from the flags that held onto the dowel rods.  I gently Mod Podged the flags to the jars and wa-la!  I've a new center piece for my dining room table.  Yesterday I used it as a votive holder, but with its size..I could use it as a vase, catch all, etc...

  The large wine bottle I was initially going to paint, then adhere one of the flags too ~ then second guessed myself into saving that one for another crafty day including chalkboard paint.  
      





Finished as a votive holder :)




15 comments:

  1. How absolutely adorable and patriotic. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a cute idea! I will so have to do this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paulina - I can't wait to see how yours turns out too =)

      Delete
  3. I.LOVE.THIS!! Wow. So stinking simple and adorable! I have a bunch of pickle jars/spaghetti sauce jars that I don't know what to do with..this is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellie! Spaghetti sauce jars would make beautiful vases - great idea!

      Delete
  4. I love these! I did some a couple years ago as favors for my 4th of July BBQ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet they were a hit at your BBQ! I'm making a large batch to gift for Memorial Day to our local Vets with my boys as a community service project too =)

      Delete
  5. What a cute project! I'll have to recreate with the British flag haha xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I bet it will be super cute! Post some pics when you're done =)

      Delete
  6. You created a lovely and super Americana piece of art! Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omgosh, I love that! I will have to make one!

    ReplyDelete